common pet poisonsIn case you haven’t noticed, your pet’s safety is our top priority here at BEEVET! In the past, we’ve covered important topics relating to pet safety with boating, holidays, and even the dog park. In honor of National Poison Awareness Week, March 18-24, our goal is to raise awareness about the many common pet poisons lurking in our homes, and educate pet owners on how they can best protect their furry friends.

Common Pet Poisons in the Home

Everyday items, such as cleaning supplies, certain foods, medications, and even houseplants, can put our pets at risk of accidental poisoning. As you go about your spring cleaning this year, take a moment to secure or remove the following common pet poisons:

  • People food – Chocolate, Xylitol (artificial sweetener used in sugar-free gum, candy, baked goods, peanut butter, etc.), alcohol, raisins, macadamia nuts, fatty foods.
  • Medications – Over-the-counter pain relievers, albuterol inhalers, ADHD medication, antidepressants, sleep aids, birth control pills, blood pressure medication, and others pose a serious risk to pets.
  • Pet medications – Many pet medications and parasite preventives are designed to taste and smell appetizing to pets, making it very easy for a pet to overdose if they have access.
  • Household chemicals – Toilet bowl cleaner, drain cleaner, lye, floor wax or polish, oven cleaner, paint thinner, and others contain harsh chemicals that can injure or kill a pet.
  • Personal care products – Toothpaste, shampoo, makeup, and other toiletry items may contain Xylitol (found in some toothpastes) or other compounds that are toxic to pets.
  • Food scraps and garbage – Put leftovers away promptly, and keep garbage bins covered at all times.
  • Houseplants – Common houseplants, such as lilies (extremely toxic to cats), philodendron, English ivy, sago palm, and more, can be toxic if ingested.

Antifreeze Safety

Antifreeze is one of the most dangerous substances your pet may encounter in your home, garage, driveways, and roads. Pets are attracted to antifreeze because of its sweet smell and taste, but it only takes a small amount to sicken and kill a pet. Always store unused antifreeze in tightly sealed containers, out of reach of pets. Clean up spills immediately and always supervise pets while outdoors.

Let’s Talk Backpacks

Backpacks, purses, coats, bags, and lunch containers are of particular concern when it comes to curious pets, often holding common pet poisons like leftover food, medication, sugar-free gum, nicotine, and other potential pet toxins. Protect your pets by instituting a strict “off the floor” policy, and make sure that bags are hung up or put away immediately.

At BEEVET, we are equipped to handle a pet emergency during regular business hours. Please call ahead so that we can be ready for your pet’s specific needs. After hours, please contact a nearby emergency veterinary hospital.