Summer may be halfway over, but Austin residents know that doesn’t mean much. The heat will stay with us for weeks to come, and keeping ourselves and our pets safe are top priorities as the high temps linger (and linger and linger).
Whether you love summer or not, our pet heat safety tips are sure to help you and your pet beat the heat!
Our pets are much less efficient at releasing built up heat from their bodies. This means heat-related illnesses, such as dehydration and heat stroke, can sneak up on them quickly. It’s up to pet owners to monitor their pet’s exposure to heat and take the necessary precautions to protect them.
Although any pet can overheat, senior pets, very young pets, and brachycephalic breeds (e.g., pugs, Pekingese, bulldogs, Persian cats) are at an increased risk. These pets should be kept out of the heat as much as possible and monitored closely during warm weather. Continue…
In case you haven’t noticed, your pet’s safety is our top priority here at BEEVET! In the past, we’ve covered important topics relating to pet safety with boating, holidays, and even the dog park. In honor of National Poison Awareness Week, March 18-24, our goal is to raise awareness about the many common pet poisons lurking in our homes, and educate pet owners on how they can best protect their furry friends.
So much goes into preparing for Halloween that it’s easy to forget the very real dangers facing our pets. Of course, many of our furry friends embrace all the festive chaos, but some don’t enjoy the unpredictable nature of the holiday. How do you know where to draw the line? Keep reading for helpful Halloween pet safety tips.
By now, your pet has probably sensed all the anticipation in your household and surrounding neighborhood. Whether they match your enthusiasm or not, it’s important to keep the following hazards in mind:
School’s back in session, and while the old “dog ate your homework” excuse doesn’t apply as well to the world of tablets and clouds as it did in the past, that doesn’t mean Fido is sticking to dog food. Foreign bodies in pets are a common occurrence in the veterinary world and can have some very serious consequences. Do you know what you’d do if your pet ate something harmful?
When Dinner Isn’t Enough
Anything that doesn’t belong in the intestinal tract is considered a foreign body. Non-food objects can get stuck anywhere along the way, from the oral cavity to the esophagus, or even within the stomach or intestines. Some objects may simply be too large to pass through, while others cause abnormal motility of the digestive system. Continue…
There’s nothing like enjoying a day of fun in the sun with your pet, and during a long, hot, Austin summer, sticking close to the water just makes sense. But before you and your furry pal head out for a day of boating on Lake Travis or pack a picnic for a relaxing day at Lady Bird Lake, review our tips for boat and lake safety for pets.
Lake Safety For Pets
When we consider lake safety for pets, swimming and heat related dangers come to mind, such as: Continue…
For many Americans, summer wouldn’t be complete without 4th of July festivities. Picnics, barbecues, getting together with family and friends, and of course the ubiquitous fireworks displays are all beloved ways of celebrating this uniquely American holiday.
Whether you are staying home to enjoy the festivities with your loved ones, or headed out to view a public fireworks display, keeping your pets safe and comfortable should be high on your list of priorities. Check out our 4th of July pet safety tips to keep your furry friends healthy and stress-free this summer.
Most Texans are pretty used to being around snakes. While many of our native species here in the south are harmless, there are a few that we need to be on the lookout, for.
Texan rattlesnakes are nothing to mess with, especially when it comes to our pets. BeeVet Animal Hospital wants our clients to be sure to know all about the risks of rattlesnakes and what they need to do should their animal encounter one. Rattlesnakes and pets are not a good mix, and being prepared is half the battle.
When a rattlesnake bites, it can have deadly consequences. If the snake injects its venom into the tissues of its victim during a strike, a chemical reaction can begin to occur. The venom causes disruption of the blood vessels in the area leading to severe swelling, blood loss, and shock. Continue…