When you think about spoiling your pet, what comes to mind first? If you are like most people, you probably thought of treats or toys. Those are always great ways to indulge your pet, but sometimes we rely too heavily on them. In fact, with the higher rates of pet obesity, our old standby of goodies may not be the best way to go.
There are several healthy ways to pamper your pet that will be better for them in the long run. Your team at BEEVET Animal Hospital offers up some of the healthiest ideas for your best friend.
6 Healthy Ways to Pamper Your Pet
Instead of packing on more pounds, we dug up some of our favorite healthful ways to indulge. So put away those dog biscuits and chew on this:
- Fun exercise. Every pet needs to move and play, and your furry loved one needs to exercise daily. But it doesn’t have to be that ho-hum walk that no longer excites your pet. Try some new exercises together, like running, hiking, outdoor agility, trick training, new games that are interactive, and other inspired fun. Plan on exercising your pet each day for about 20-30 minutes to give them the movement they need.
- Spa day for your furry one. Attending to your pet’s skin and coat health requires daily brushing, the occasional bath, nail trims, and more. It doesn’t have to be costly. It can be as simple as making sure you brush their teeth each day or trim their nails every few weeks. Buy a new brush or comb and spend time brushing them out. It’s a great way to benefit their coat and create a stronger bond between you.
- Spend more time together. During our busy lives, it’s easy to forget that pets need quality time, too. Not just the quick pat or feeding them, but true undivided attention to how they are doing. Take a day to just do pet friendly things, whether that is an outing to a favorite park or snuggling on the couch while watching a movie.
- Take a look at nutrition. If your pet has been chowing down on lower quality foods, or you have been overindulging them in people food, look to nutrition. Work with your veterinarian on choosing the best food and/or nutritional supplementation for your pet, as well as tips to maintain a healthy weight.
- Sign them up for daycare or a pet sitting service. If your pet is feeling lonely while you’re at work, consider opting for an outside service. Doggie daycare is a great treat for pups because they can expend energy, have attention during the day, and work on excellent socialization. Both cats and dogs enjoy a drop-in pet sitter or friend who visits midday with some treats and exercise.
- Maintain regular wellness examinations. One of the primary goals of contributing to a pet’s best life is through wellness or preventive care. Just like you make your annual examinations a priority, it is important for pet companions in an effort to encourage health and longevity.
What are some of the ways you ensure excellent health and vitality for your furry loved one? Do you have any healthy activities you do for them? We’d love to hear about it.
If you have any questions about health conscience ways to pamper your pet, or to schedule an appointment, please call us.